Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped or shredded
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ tsp onion salt (or onion powder if you can’t find onion salt)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk (any kind)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (do not use pre-shredded)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots to the pan and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the broth, onion salt and garlic powder. Bring the mixture to a boil, add the broccoli, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden brown, whisking constantly. Whisk in the milk and cook until the mixture thickens and bubbles, about 5 minutes. Once the mixture has thickened, remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the cheese until completely melted. Slowly pour the cheese sauce into the soup pot and stir to combine the mixtures. Allow to simmer until warmed through and broccoli is tender. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. If desired, puree the soup with an immersion blender for a smoother texture.